Posted by SMAD May 19, 2009
The first meeting of a new SMAD Alumni/Professional Advisory Council was held on Friday, April 10, 2009 in Harrison Hall. The group was formed to unite and facilitate interaction among constituencies of the School of Media Arts & Design and to assist, advance, support and promote the mission and objectives of the program.
The Council will have the following objectives:
1. To serves as a forum for the exchange of perspectives about industry and career trends.
2. To help guide the program in such areas as career advising, public relations and external communications.
3. To strengthen ties between the School and communication industries, emphasizing student internships, mentorship and employment.
4. Develop an effective program for soliciting gifts from alumni through campaigns, class representatives, and other activities to generate annual support from those alumni and friends.
5. Promote the program – serving as a vehicle for constant and on-going promotion of SMAD and to its constituencies. To be advocates for the School to various groups.
Dean Leipsner - Chair: CEO, United States Rare Coin & Bullion Reserve
Kevin Barnhill: Senior Producer, Discovery Digital Media
Patrick Bedall: Director of Sales and Marketing, Metro Productions
Derby: Director, Production Technology and Standards, Discovery Communications, LLC
Emma Dozier: Web Content Editor, MPRI
Janet Driscoll Miller: President and CEO, Search Mojo
Kevin Freiberger: Web Developer, Fleishman-Hillard
Khalil Garriott: Writer/Editor, NFL Players Association
Kristin Gibson: Coordinator of Marketing & Development, JMU UREC
Joey Groah: Owner/Producer, Digico
Chris Hulick: Creative Communications Manager, SAIC
Brian King: Senior Multimedia Producer, WETA/PBS
George Loudon: Producer/Director/Editor, LoudMan Productions
Erin McManamon: Deputy Bureau Chief, Hearst-Argyle Television
Jeff Muller: Software Developer, TCI - Tele-Consultants, Inc.
Ed Reams: News Director - WHSV-TV
Robin Reed: Chief Meteorologist - WDBJ-TV
Melissa Roberts: Assignment Editor, CNN National Desk
Marcus Seiler: Senior Director, Qorvis Communications, LLC
Casey Templeton: Casey Templeton Photography, Inc.
Matt Uvena: Media Producer, Interface Media Group
Brad Williams: V.P., Member Benefits & Business Development, National Association of Broadcasters
Peter Yates: Editor and General Manager, Harrisonburg Daily News Record
Steven D. Anderson: Director - School of Media Arts & Design, JMU - Ex officio member
Rustin Greene: Assistant Director - School of Media Arts & Design, JMU - Ex officio member
David Grimm: Director of Development, College of Arts & Letters, JMU - Ex officio member
SMAD Alumni/Professional Advisory Council Meeting
©2009 Robert Boag